Unfortunately, the trip to York had to be cancelled due to severe weather. Two massive storms hit the UK – one the day we were to set out and the other the day we were meant to return. Apparently, several train lines are still blocked by downed trees. And another storm is hitting today. The winds on Friday got to over 70 mph in the city of London. Much worse nearer the coast. I came here because of a windy storm (Hurricane Ida), so I know what wind damage can do. I wasn’t about to complain about a cancelled trip.
We went to Borough Market on Thursday, which is my favorite market so far in London. There are so many delicious things to see and buy. We bought lots of spices, dried edible blossoms, and a new tea, and we browsed the produce for ideas. Wild garlic and Romanesco broccoli (a yellow conical cauliflower-looking vegetable) went home with us to supplement a tasty hunk of beef cooked in Barolo. My adventure into trying new things and eating more vegetables has, thus far, been a fruitful endeavor. We also tried a new restaurant: an Italian bistro near our favorite French one. It’s called La Divina Café, and its food was delicious! We will be going back near the end of the month as my farewell dinner. I posted pictures of my meal there on Instagram.
At some point this week I intend to go see the Museum of the Home, which took over one of my favorite museums (Geffrye House). I especially loved its walled herb garden and the floral garden that fed their bees. We’ll see what is so much better that Geffrye had to go.
Here are this week’s suggestions for fun and enriching activities:
- Relaxing Music: “February Sea” from the album Winter into Spring by George Winston. You can listen to it here or find the album on Amazon or streaming.
- Soothing Sounds: “Potion Brewing with the Willow Witch” by Goodnight Moon. Here is a link to her beautiful video.
- Puzzle: Countdown. You can find the game here. Try to make the longest word you can using the letters provided.
- Movie: Cinderella (1950). You can find it on Amazon or on a streaming service.
- Creative Prompt (write, draw, paint, sculpt, photograph, or collage something based on this subject): moon
- Mythology Lesson: Selene. Read about her here, and do a little further research if the mood takes you!
- Short Reading: “Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper.” You can read it here, or you can listen to it on YouTube.
Have you tried any of these activities yet? Do any of them speak to you?